It’s Halloween soon! We always serve a Cream Cheese Chicken Chili that disappears into the night. To help my family, that visits every Halloween, not steal all the candy from the bowl, I make a Pumpkin Pie to die for (see what I did there?). Why should Thanksgiving get all the pumpkin pies? But, yes, this is Halloween-style.
1. 1 can (15 oz) canned pumpkin puree
2. 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3. 2 eggs
4. ¾ cup sugar
5. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon spice
6. ½ teaspoon ground ginger
7. ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
8. 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (with two shells)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Bake pie crust for 12-15 minutes or follow instructions on pie crust box.
3. While the pie shell is pre-baking, in a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
4. Pour mixture into pre-baked pie shell.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
7. Continue baking for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
* Pumpkin Pie Jack-O-Lantern Decoration:
1. If you are making this for Halloween night or a party, use a sharp knife and the extra pie shell to “carve” out your jack-o-lantern face: eyes, nose, and mouth. Depending on the size bake the jack-o-lantern cut-outs for 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
2. Once your delicious pie is cool, place your jack-o-lantern decorations on your pie.
3. Serve and enjoy at your Halloween Party.
Have a few questions? Check out our FAQs
Can I use fresh pumpkin in pumpkin pie?
Yes, fresh pumpkin can be used to make pumpkin pie. Most recipes will call for canned pumpkin, but if you have fresh pumpkins available, you can certainly use them. The process is a bit more involved than using canned pumpkin, but the results are worth it. Fresh pumpkin has a deeper flavor and richer texture than canned, so your pies will be even more delicious.
How do you make pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkins?
To make pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkins, first cut the pumpkins in half and remove the seeds. Next, cut the pumpkins into smaller pieces and roast them in the oven until they are soft. Once the pumpkins are roasted, allow them to cool before removing the skin and pureeing the flesh in a food processor. The pumpkin puree can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for later use.
What do you serve with pumpkin pie?
Pumpkin pie is typically served with whipped cream, ice cream, or even just a simple dollop of cream. It can also be enjoyed on its own, or with a cup of coffee or tea.
What is a substitute for evaporated milk in pumpkin pie?
A substitute for evaporated milk in pumpkin pie is heavy cream.
What color is evaporated milk (I think mine has gone bad)?
Evaporated milk is a shelf-stable canned milk product where about 60% of the water has been removed from fresh milk. It is then homogenized, packaged and sterilized. The result is a creamy white liquid that has a slightly sweeter taste than fresh milk.