I love a twofer. Check out our recipe for Hot Honey (yum) AND Hot Honey Chicken (more yum). Hot honey is all the craze right now, and I thought I might as well jump into the fun. Spicy food is our go-to in this house, but I am discovering how honey and heat bring balance. I love learning with you!
Check out these recipes to bring heat and balance to your next meal! I can’t wait for you to dive into the fun with me. You will love this recipe(s).
Hot Honey Recipe
1 cup honey
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Combine honey, red pepper flakes, and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.
2. Heat the mixture in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until it is hot to the touch.
3. Pour the hot honey into a jar or other container and allow it to cool completely.
4. Store the hot honey in an air-tight container.
Hot Honey Chicken Recipe
1.5 lb. chicken thighs or drumsticks
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
Homemade Hot Honey Sauce Recipe (Can and should be made more than just for this recipe)
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper
3. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken pieces. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil and rub the olive oil and spice one more time to mix.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
5. Once hot, add chicken and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side (depending on the size of the chicken, until browned.
6. Pull out your pre-made hot honey- no worries if you don’t have it made.
7. Once the chicken is browned, add the hot honey to the skillet OR once the chicken is browned, add honey, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
8. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Remove the chicken and transfer the sticky, wonderful contents of the skillet to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or longer depending on the size of the chicken.
10. Let the chicken rest then serve with the sauce from the baking dish.
11. Add rice or your favorite veggies for a complete dish…double hot honey to drizzle over veggies and rice—why not, right?
Have some questions about Hot Honey Chicken? I did, too. Check out the FAQS here:
Can I make this hot honey even hotter?
Absolutely! Simply add more red pepper flakes! Let your taste buds decide the amount of heat they can take!
If I pre-make the hot honey, what is the best way to store it?
You might be surprised to learn that hot honey has a relatively long shelf life. When properly stored, it can last for up to two years. This is because the high sugar content prevents bacteria from growing. However, over time the quality of the hot honey will decline. It will become darker and less flavorful.
To extend the shelf life of your hot honey, make sure to simmer it before storing it. This will kill any harmful bacteria that might be present. Store the hot honey in a dark, cool place, such as a pantry or cupboard. Be sure to seal it tightly so that no air can get in and cause it to spoil more quickly.
What is the internal temperature of the chicken when it is fully cooked?
The internal temperature of a chicken when it is fully cooked is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This can be checked by using a meat thermometer to measure the temperature of the chicken in the thickest part of the breast.
Can I use chicken breast?
Sure! However, using bone-in chicken does create a juicier piece of chicken. Just make sure to check that the chicken breast is fully cooked.
Can I use skinless chicken thighs?
Yes, you can use skinless chicken thighs. This type of chicken is usually less expensive than skin-on chicken, and it can be a healthy option since it’s lower in saturated fat. Just be sure to cook skinless chicken thighs thoroughly to avoid foodborne illness.
Can I cook this in an air fryer?
I LOVE my air fryer (more than I should), but I would stick to the cooking method above. The air fryer would be a great option to reheat the Honey Hot Chicken.
I hope you love these recipes as much as we do! The sweet and spicy sauce is something made of dreams. Enjoy it extra hot (or not)! It’s up to you. Let me know what you think of this hot honey chicken!